Girls of Fire

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Girls of Fire is an organization for women who enjoy firearms and shooting sports, whether it be for the purpose of hunting, entertainment or personal protection. We are dedicated to the education, support and empowerment of women. We are staunchly Pro2A!

Keywords

Latest topics

» Update on Girls of Fire
Predator control! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 12:53 pm by Jim_Fleming

» Where'd the postman hide today??
Predator control! I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 4:15 pm by Kimber

» 100 Days of Giveaways Contest Winners!
Predator control! I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 4:20 pm by princesslambeth

» This photo of my G22
Predator control! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 12:12 pm by ReLoad

» Hello from MsOakley
Predator control! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 11:10 pm by princesslambeth

» Giveaway Day 13!
Predator control! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 10:35 am by Twsledge

» Crossfire Arms, LLC
Predator control! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 pm by Crossfire Arms

» We have our first snow of the season
Predator control! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 3:18 pm by "JJ"

» Checking in from Indiana
Predator control! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 am by marishka1510

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

free forum

+2
Jim_Fleming
"JJ"
6 posters

Predator control!

Predator control! 29-24
    "JJ"
    N00B
    N00B

Empowerment : 0

Predator control! Empty Predator control!

Post by "JJ" Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:51 pm

In my area coyotes are top of the food chain! They have no natural predators.
    They eat, breed and eat some more!

They may be one of the most adaptive and most cunning of all of God's creatures because they can survive in just about any condition!
    They have been spotted from the middle of small town America to just outside Wrigley Field in Chicago!
    They used to just be in the west and southwest with folks up in the northeast region tying to control the fox population. Well now you can just about find them everywhere and when they move in other species decrease in numbers!
    Locally our game bird population has just about disappeared and fox, a coyote's biggest competition, are few and far between now!

But the general public usually does not have a problem with that!
    Usually I only get a call when they return to their home on the edge of town and find a coyote eating the outside dog's food OR the outside dog. I have a half dozen places I hunt that have lost their family pet to coyotes! One young girl let her miniature schnauzer out to go potty before bedtime and watched a coyote attack it! She was able to scare off the coyote and after a long stay at the vet and a LARGE bill, the pup did survive.
    I also provide predator control on local cattle ranches and hunting leases.

This is not a business and I do not charge!
    I enjoy the challenge of the hunt and in return for my services, I get access to another places to hunt.
    While my goal is to thin out the population a bit, I do have a great deal of respect for all predators!
    I had not purchased a hunting license since the mid 80s before I got interested in predators! After I had been introduced to shooting sports a friend lost a couple of calves to coyotes.
    I dusted off the old shotgun and was gonna just come shoot them!
    YEAH RIGHT!
    After a few unsuccessful hunts I started my research! That led to my passion or as my wife would say, my obsession!

Here are a few of my pics from some local hunts.

Predator control! Photobucket-51639-1375543611529

Predator control! 28lb8ozfemalewithReeseEdiaphragm-6

Predator control! 920408_4480272936034_934408873_o

Predator control! 59230_4429041975292_1604930842_n
    < div>Predator control! 154839_4186762438455_1951534371_n
    Predator control! 535366_4219864265980_1783015778_n

Predator control! 172073_1512518944039_5402281_o

Predator control! 172602_1512329379300_2023205_o

Predator control! 933886_4511341432727_1995523584_n

I guess that is enough for now! What a Face

Thanks for looking!"
    Jim_Fleming
    Jim_Fleming
    N00B
    N00B

Predator control! Empty Re: Predator control!

Post by Jim_Fleming Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:16 am

Nicely done! Whereabouts is home? (as in what State?) Just mostly curiousity...
    Predator control! 29-24
    "JJ"
    N00B
    N00B

Post by "JJ" Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:47 am

Northeast Texas Mr. Fleming!
    Bowie county.
    I am about 20 miles from Oklahoma and Arkansas!
    Jim_Fleming
    Jim_Fleming
    N00B
    N00B

Post by Jim_Fleming Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:25 am

Thank you sir.

JJ wrote:Northeast Texas Mr. Fleming!
    Bowie county.
    I am about 20 miles from Oklahoma and Arkansas!
    marishka1510
    N00B
    N00B

Post by marishka1510 Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Nicely done JJ! We have large numbers of coyote here in Indiana as well. Although I haven't ever been out hunting yet, I look forward to being able to go on my first coyote hunt. Here in Indiana all I need is written permission from a property owner to hunt coyote. My husband is planning on showing me the ropes and letting me use his TC Encore 260. Smile
    Predator control! 29-24
    "JJ"
    N00B
    N00B

Post by "JJ" Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:32 am

marishka1510 wrote:Nicely done JJ! We have large numbers of coyote here in Indiana as well. Although I haven't ever been out hunting yet, I look forward to being able to go on my first coyote hunt. Here in Indiana all I need is written permission from a property owner to hunt coyote. My husband is planning on showing me the ropes and letting me use his TC Encore 260. Smile
    Sweet! But let me warn ya!
    The rush you get when a predator steps out of the cover and you KNOW it is hunting you, is unequaled.
    Not legally anyway! Wink
    I look forward to some pictures!
    AlaskaGirl907
    AlaskaGirl907
    N00B
    N00B

Post by AlaskaGirl907 Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:03 pm

We have coyotes up here but you hardly see them. I see moose almost weekly. Bears about every 6 months. Caribou once a year. Hardly ever see coyotes
    Predator control! 29-24
    "JJ"
    N00B
    N00B

Post by "JJ" Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Well AlaskaGirl907 your coyotes are a bit more cautious then ours. Your's are several links down on the food chain!
    With the wolves, multiple species of bears and some big cats they have to be a bit more careful. I have a good friend who lives in Kenai who does a bit of predator control as well.
    Local coyotes have an occasional cougar to deal with, that usually avoids them like the plague, but other then that they are the "top dog"!
    Sorry" couldn't resist! Smile

Ours are getting braver and braver using the suburb's backyards as drive-threws.
    They can be see in town going this through trash or carrying off someone's pet on a regular basis!
    THE GIRL OF FIRE
    THE GIRL OF FIRE
    Admin

Post by THE GIRL OF FIRE Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Great photos JJ!!!!!
    GlockinGirl
    GlockinGirl
    N00B
    N00B

Post by GlockinGirl Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:41 am

Those are great pix.  We have a lot of coyotes here as well.  My Husband and I are not hunters, but I do appreciate the skill involved in a good kill, and I also see the necessity in some areas.  

Several years ago before I carried a gun everywhere, we were with another couple driving down the road when we had the unfortunate chance to watch two coyotes take a baby antelope from it's mom, kill it, then go after the mom.  Not a single one of us in the car had a gun that morning.  What a helpless feeling that was.  We also got scolded by the neighboring ranchers for not shooting the coyotes.
    Predator control! 29-24
    "JJ"
    N00B
    N00B

Post by "JJ" Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:36 am

Wow! I bet that was hard to watch!
    Thanks for sharing!

I get all kinds of hate from anti hunters for what I do. They don't like it when hunters kill for food so what I do is just horrible to them. They would say that the event that you witnessed was just nature running it's course.
    While I agree with that to some extent, I also believe that the expansion and development of society has shifted things into the coyote's favor. Where the doe antelope tries to avoid civilization the coyote thrives in it. There are now coyotes in locations that have never had them before. They are a supreme predator and they reek havoc on native species. So instead of the mother antelope having to worry about a group of coyotes to her west, she is now surrounded by them. They out number her and can eventually run her to exhaustion and get the upper hand on her and her offspring.
    Now I do believe that being preyed upon does strengthen a species. But when a species' population exceeds the holding capacity of the land, things get out of whack. That is when the coyote turns from rabbits and mice and starts hunting house pets, cattle and larger wildlife like your antelope.

As for the challenge of the hunt, the coyote present the most challenging I have ever experienced!
    While my goal is to reduce their populations I have developed a strong appreciation and respect for a coyote.
    GlockinGirl
    GlockinGirl
    N00B
    N00B

Post by GlockinGirl Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:21 am

JJ,
    I am not an anti-hunter, I just find that it isn't something that I have much inclination to do. I do have a mild interest in hunting, but since my husband absolutely won't go, I would have to rely on friends to take me out and teach me... Somehow going out on a weekend hunt with my guy friends just doesn't seem appropriate, and I don't have any girlfriends that hunt that I could ask.

I grew up on a "gentleman farm" type of place where I always had livestock for 4-H and FFA, and my family often had me raise an extra steer or hog for my family to eat. I know where meat comes from, and I am prepared to kill either neighboring livestock or wildlife in the event of a societal collapse or SHTF, but in the mean time, what little meat we eat, I'll keep buying from Safeway. Smile
    GlockinGirl
    GlockinGirl
    N00B
    N00B

Post by GlockinGirl Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:44 am

Ok, let me try this again with the pix a bit smaller...

Is this your barn?
    Predator control! 0a02cd6f-31c8-4592-a94b-6bd099b21254
    Predator control! 29-24
    "JJ"
    N00B
    N00B

Post by "JJ" Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:46 am

GlockinGirl I wasn't implying that you were anti-hunting and I apologize if it seemed that way. I was just pointing out how some who were would look at the situation you witnessed!

As for the barn, I wished!
    That is a trappers barn right there but if I were able to put up that much fur I would have to keep it in a freezer! We don't stay cold enough to hang them like that!
    That is a lot off work hanging but it would be nice!
    Thanks for sharing the photo! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:30 pm